Monday, September 3, 2012

my thoughts on: the perks of being a wallflower by stephen chbosky


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
published 1999, goodreads page.

I don't know how to begin talking about this book. 
I think I'll start off this post in dot points. 
  • I loved it from beginning to end.
  • The writing is incredible. I was blown away by how compelling it is. 
  • The book is written in epistolary form - the main character, Charlie, writing letter after letter to this person he doesn't know and has never met, yet addresses as "Friend". 
  • Charlie is like no other character I have ever had the pleasure of being introduced to. 
  • The story is beautiful in a way one rarely can find in contemporary literature. So beautiful.
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower makes me exceedingly proud to say that I'm a fan of YA. 

For me, it was kinda like the book took a hold of me, like it reached out and grabbed onto my heart with a steel grip. Then you get to all those moments with Charlie, I don't know how to describe them other than by saying "those moments", and then I felt like my heart was just been SQUEEZED, or like it was digging its fingers in. Coz it kinda hurt really bad sometimes. Or a lot of times. But it was a gentle, beautiful sort of pain. I really felt for Charlie is what I think I'm trying to say. 
This was a really sad story. But funny. And hopeful. And when joy came, it came with full, unyielding force. 
It was really something to behold.

I can't remember if I mentioned this to you before, but when I read a book that I own and come across something that strikes me as poignant, something I want to remember, something I want to return to - I'll dog-ear the page, no questions asked.
For The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I couldn't do that. 
Can you guess why?

I couldn't do that because then every single page in the novel would be dog-eared.


2 comments:

Alexia561 said...

I like your bullet points at the beginning of the review. Clever! And your description of how the book reached out and grabbed hold of your heart? Sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for sharing!

My Saturday Situation

Alexia561 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.