Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 End of Year Survey


My End of Year Book Survey 

I haven't done one of these before, but it looks like fun, so here we go!
This is hosted by Jamie over at her blog, so click here to get more info, link your own post, etc!
My survey will be a tad different; I'll just pick out a few questions from the many original questions to answer. 

1) The best book I read in 2013?
I have to pick two! I'm sorry!


The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. 
Books don't just win Newbery Medals for no reason! Here's a full post on what I thought about this book.
It was beautiful. Charming. Funny. Magical.

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.
Probably one of my favourite Sophie Kinsella novels, if not my very tippy top favourite. 
Hilarious fun with deliciously exciting characters, flapper dresses and Charleston dancing.

2) Book I was excited about and thought I was going to love more but didn't?
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins.
After reading many raving reviews, I thought this would be better than it was. It was only okay. Here's my review

3) Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013?
Betrothed by Wanda Wiltshire.
I'm never too sure about debuts from the outset, but this one so pleasantly surprised me, I was hooked from the get go! Also I scored first review (ever) on this book. And the cover is amazing.
Check out my full review. Fun times! I also got to interview Wanda! 

4) Best series I discovered in 2013?
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan.
I'm late on the wagon I know, but I only discovered this series recently and only started reading it this year! Rick Riordan's the best.

5) Favourite new author I discovered in 2013?
Neil Gaiman. 
I've been reading many of his works recently, and can't believe it has taken me this long to pick up one of this books. The man is a genius! His stories are a little creepy though. 

6) Favourite cover of a book I read in 2013?
Betrothed! Like I mentioned earlier. :)


7) Most memorable character in 2013?
Percy Jackson! 
I was watching a YouTube video with Rick Riordan in it, and while I was reading the comments, one person had given Percy's name a typo and it read "Pervy Jackson". 
HILARIOUS!

8) Most beautifully written book?
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
As I said before, the man can WRITE! If you haven't seen my post on Ocean yet, take a look here.
It also just recently won the Book of the Year award

9) Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Ulysses by James Joyce.
This book, for the short period of time we were studying it in my Modernism unit for English, made me HATE reading. Worst. Book. Ever. It made me feel emotions toward a book I never though I'd feel. Loathing and bewilderment at how anyone could read the entire thing or take anything away from it.

10) Genre I read the most from in 2013?
Chick Lit and Middle Grade, closely followed by Young Adult.

11) Book that was the most fun to read? 
Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. 
It was SUPER fun. Very funny. Almost gloriously so.

No comments: