Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: The Ylem by Tatiana Vila

Title: The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, Book One)
Author: Tatiana Vila
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating: 4 stars
Format: e-book, 184 pages
Release Date: Nov 23, 2010
Publisher: Smashwords
Source: Won via Candace @ Candace's Book Blog







Description:
When Kalista moves with her father to the town of Ruidoso, she doesn't expect her quiet life to change. That is, until she meets mysterious Tristan, who not only increases her heart rate but seems to have a connection with her. Bizarre dreams start crowding her mind, but when she stumbles upon an ancient book she realizes there might be a reason to them. The book wraps a secret, a secret she's part of... 
 My Thoughts..

This was another book I won from entering a competition and I'm so glad I did because The Ylem captivated me from the beginning. I finished the whole book in one afternoon. I mean, who doesn't love a nice urban fantasy/paranormal romance?


I loved the story, especially how the plot unveiled. It was written in two characters' points of view - Kalista and Caleb. Caleb's chapters were really minimal and I wanted to find out more about him but at least I know we will in the next book.

There were loads of relationship building and character backstory but somehow Tatiana Vila managed to squeeze a little bit of action in there as well! We can expect a whole heap more of action in the next instalment as we find out what exactly the Ylem is and the answers to so many other questions that leave us hanging at the end of this book.

My favourite character would definitely be Caleb, because even though you see he's on the wrong team - he's got morals, a good heart, and a strong link to the opposing side in Kalista. I hope I didn't give too much away there. :P


The Ylem was a gripping read from beginning to end and although it bore striking parallels with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight and the writing could've been better, the unique storyline and plot structure had me sold.
I'll need to somehow get my hands on the next book in The Ylem trilogy, Alluvion, when it comes out next year. :)




---------
Here's the book trailer, if you're interested: 

No comments: