Tuesday, June 10, 2014

New on my bookshelf


It was my B-day not too long ago and I thought LET'S GET SOME BOOKS TO CELEBRATE!
This is a little similar to my last "New on my bookshelf" post because almost all of these titles have film adaptations, but that just makes it more exciting (IMO). 



The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick

This was my favourite film of the year in 2012 - amazing direction by David O Russell, magnificently talented cast, awesome soundtrack, it was hilarious and just everything you want in a good motion picture. And I'm assuming the book has to live up to its screen adaptation, right? It's got to. 


If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Have you seen the trailers yet? I'd heard many things from many places about this book but for some reason never bothered to check it out myself nor felt the desire to... until I saw the trailer for the movie. Nobody told me the MC was a cellist!? I was so pleasantly surprised, I was like "WELL, NOW I MUST!" Now I must read the book. If I'd known there were cellos (or celli if you want to be prim and proper) involved, I'd have read it years ago. 


The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

I spotted this whilst browsing TBD, probably because of the (awesome) title and also because of its gorgeous cover. Elegance, indeed. This novel was extremely popular in France, and then I guess internationally too, according to the brazen tagline donning to top of the cover. I hope for Muriel's sake that it's wonderful inside and out!


Stuck by Oliver Jeffers

I came across this book on TBD's front page, if I recall correctly. I don't normally buy children's books unless they're middle grade novel-sized books - I don't buy picture books, like, ever. But this one had great reviews, the premise intrigued me and I read it front to back as soon as I took the books out of my Book Depository parcel. It was a delight and I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I guess this is a mini-review inside of a haul post. Anyway, the drawings were cute and made me smile, I loved the colours and overall formatting with the handwritten-style font. It was a delicious bite-sized story that actually added a great deal of joy and inspiration to my week.


Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

This book is the main reason I went onto TBD. I'm not really in that Nicholas Sparks phase I was in a fortnight ago, but I'm still sure I'll read this soon enough. 
 

2 comments:

Cass said...

LOVED If I Stay! <3 I've read it four times now, and the sequel/companion twice. I'm really pumped for the movie actually, but kind of nervous that it won't quite meet my sky-high expectations. Because this was one of my first ever YA and it holds a very special place in my heart.

I also read Silver Linings Playbook and I don't know, it was just okay for me. Same with the movie. I suppose it just wasn't for me.

Still haven't read a Nicholas Sparks book. My brother is a fan of his though, so maybe I should check him out sometime. Enjoy your new(ish) books!

Kaitlin Michelle said...

Have you read any of them yet? How was The Silver Linings Playbook, because I enjoyed the movie.
Interesting Blog. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, which helps new bloggers with less than 200 followers (I wasn't sure how many followers you have) meet other bloggers. I posted information about the award, and how you participate over on my blog The Vivacious Hobo.
http://vivacioushobo.com/2014/09/01/the-liebster-award/