Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: Young Adult 
Rating: 4 stars
Format: Paperback, 341 pages
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hodder
ISBN: 987-0-340-98090-3
Source: Bought (from Dymocks)

Other Details: Currently on my swap-list


Description: 


What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world’s most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.



My Thoughts:

This was a book very much about death but even more so about life.
I was going to give this only 3 stars, but what pushed it higher was Lauren Oliver's amazing writing. She has a way of making the simplest of things sound cool, innovative and different. Her writing is a beauty to behold, but the storyline wasn't bad either!

The build up towards the end was so much fun to read. It was really interesting to see how Sam's outlook on life changed as she lived that same day over and over again. And the best way that was conveyed was through Oliver's incredible writing. The way she described exactly how Sam felt, and all her memories - the descriptions were beautiful and full of meaning.
The little snippet of her writing I quoted below doesn't even begin to cover how good the writing was.

Even though Sam and her friends aren't the most relatable characters, I found myself wishing like crazy to have someone like Kent in my life, and also to have amazing best friends like Lindsay, Elody and Ally.

Before I Fall is filled with life, love, friends, family, death, but mostly life. :)







--------------------------



FIRST SENTENCE FROM BEFORE I FALL BY LAUREN OLIVER:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.


SNIPPET FROM BEFORE I FALL BY LAUREN OLIVER:

But as they wing higher and higher they reveal a landscape below us, all green and gold and sun-drenched fields and pink-tinged clouds drifting underneath me, and the air around me is clear and blue and sweet smelling, and I'm laughing, laughing, laughing as I spin through the air because, of course, I haven't been falling all this time.
I've been flying.
And when I wake up it's wonderful, like I've been carried quietly onto the calm, peaceful shore, and the dream, and its meaning, has broken over me like a wave and is ebbing away now, leaving me with a single, solid certainty. I know now.




No comments: