Thursday, April 12, 2012

new on my bookshelf: all american edition


The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Another AMAZING dystopian YA that has been on my wishlist for SO LONG! Despite the extensive height of my TBR pile sitting on various shelves in my bedroom, I decided I had waited too long to get this. 
Go check out the synopsis on Goodreads!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I'm not sure what exactly made me order this one. It's not like a need a bigger reading pile. But there's a movie coming out for this and I think it's got a good rep around town. Hmmm. It's a bit of an oldie, but if you haven't heard of it, click here for the blurbity blurb!

Lonesome Traveler by Jack Kerouac
I thought I'd expand the scope of my reading a little bit and order a couple Kerouacs online. There are songs about him and he started the Beat Generation, if there is such a thing. Lonesome Traveller is, I think, like Jack Kerouac's own travel journal. I'll get around to reading it some time soon I hope. He is rather relevant to my American Lit unit.


Book of Sketches by Jack Kerouac
An anthology of poetry by the man, 'sketches' in its own way. They say he's a genius, so let's see if I agree. 

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Probably Kerouac's most popular work, On the Road is being made into a film. It'll star Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst, and others. One of Jack's pals Allen Ginsberg is a dude I'm studying right now. In fact I have to do a presentation on the below book next week. On the Road is part autobiographic.

Howl & Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
Howl. What can I say about this? It's a free verse poem that's sorta horrifying. Kinda obscene, but Ginsberg seems adamant in telling the truth. It seemed really honest to me, anyway.

[top image source: cherry blossom girl blog]

No comments: