Saturday, April 30, 2016

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

 
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
 
This sequel to 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' was cute, light, fun and just plain old lovely.
The book started off where the first book left us - Lara Jean and Peter realising their relationship is way more than pretend, and their reality is just beginning. It's cute, it's exciting, and it's everything we've wanted since the first book. It had me all giddy and bubbly, the way LJ and Peter got together! That porch scene was perf.  <3 p="">
 
But looking back now, I didn't really notice that the happy ending was where this novel started. Things are a little iffy with Genevieve (Peter's ex, and Lara Jean's ex-BFF) still in the picture. Peter is still friends with Gen, while Lara Jean is definitely not, and someone's leaked a video of LJ and Peter making out in a hot tub from last year's school ski-trip. The whole school knows about it, and the slut-shame is #real. It's not the best way to start a relationship, but both Lara Jean and Peter handle it well.
 
Soon enough comes a letter in the mail for LJ, from John Ambrose McClaren, the only boy of the five who Lara Jean sent letters to last year who hadn't responded! They become pen pals. It's cute, not very romantic but more nostalgic, and Peter doesn't really care tbh. Meanwhile, Peter is spending a lot of time with Genevieve, who is having personal family issues, but Peter won't tell Lara Jean anything. LJ, though... remains strong in faith that Peter's a great boyfriend, and apart from the whole Gen thing, he is a really sweet BF to her.
 
Anyway, John comes into the picture, REAL LIFE John, and things escalate with the whole Gen drama, and Lara Jean breaks up with Peter because finally it becomes clear to her that he isn't over his ex. (Oh and also, Peter never told her she was right about Gen being the one who took the video and leaked it). And it turns out, John is in love with LJ, and she loves him back, but uhh, Peter too. She loves them both.
 
I just think the storyline this time round is a little... neither here nor there. A lot goes on, and what's more is, Lara Jean kinda annoys me a lil bit in this book! Her character goes through a lot, and she's pretty mature in a lot of ways, but still quite childish and naive in others. Also, the ending was not the most satisfying, and I'm not sure if I can actually explain why. I think LJ herself was the issue... her heart being split two ways - I just can't really wrap my head around that.
 
I enjoyed the book nonetheless, and now I really wanna learn how to bake chai sugar cookies with whatever that icing was Lara Jean made that went with them! Mmmmm. I felt fuller just reading about all that baking.
 
My Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments: