Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Taming of the Tights by Louise Rennison

 17348970

The Taming of the Tights
(a.k.a. "Wild Girls, Wild Boys, Wild Tights" for those hamburger-a-gogo folk)
[The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey #3]
by Louise Rennison
 
 When I heard the news of Louise Rennison's death, I was shocked and saddened. She is one of my favourite authors, and I thought she'd be around for way, way longer, writing books that would keep me laughing for the rest of my life. But unfortunately, that was not the case.

All I have left, and all the world has left of her, are the books she was able to get published in her lifetime - which, I know I'm making out to be not much (which it is! It is much! I can only dream to leave behind 13 published novels before I die) - but I'm just still reeling over the fact that I have just read her last novel, and now the only thing I can do is reread all of her books. Of course I'll still enjoy rereading the Georgia Nicolson series from beginning to end, but there will never again be something new for me to read from Louise Rennison, that wonderful, hilarious, fun-tastic, crazy humourous writer that brought so many joyous, teary-eyed-and-stomach-pained-from-laughing-so-hard memories to my childhood (and who am I kidding, adulthood too).

Okokok. It's probably time I talk about this book already, huh? Ok.

To be honest, I would've only given The Taming of the Tights 4 stars, but due to the circumstances, and all the emotions and nostalgia that was stirred up during my reading of Tights, I had to bump it up a lil higher. I had to.

This novel is the 3rd book in the Misadventures of Tallulah Casey series. If you love a good laugh and enjoy a healthy dose of hilarious teen drama in the setting of a performing arts academy (!!! AHEM, a school for the dramatic arts!!), then you'll love this. The theatrics, the rapping, the spontaneous Irish dancing!

...

I'm having a moment here just contentedly reminiscing. :)

Lullah is the girl you love to root for - hilariously funny in the best way, a kind-hearted friend, interesting knees and loyal to her baby owls.

Now for the important part - Charlie or Cain. Charlie or Cain. Not a whole lot unlike cousin Georgia's Robbie vs Dave the Laugh scenario. I think we all love Charlie a lot - he's a nice guy, super good-looking, worships Lullah's knees - but we also kinda know deep down that it's Cain the Dark Black Crow of Heckmondwhite that Lullah belongs with. And it would've happened later down the road I'm sure... if this series had been completed.
*INWARD WAIL OF DEVASTATION*

I have to deal with the fact that I'll never know how this series ends or what larks Lullah and her friends get up to on the way. But I'll be happy with what I've got, because whatever this author has written I love.
 
My rating: 4.5 stars


Here are my thoughts on the first two books in the series:
 Withering Tights & A Midsummer Tights Dream

No comments: