Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 6 of the 30 Day Book Meme: A BOOK THAT MAKES ME SAD

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad 


I was really certain of the book I wanted to choose for this one until I realised... the book that makes me feel sad is also my favourite book of all time. So I've got to save that one for Day 30 and find an alternative.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

I first read this in Year 10 (5 years ago) to help with an English assignment on analysing WWII/Holocaust fiction. 
I'm so glad we did this assignment - it turned out to be the highlight of my entire high school English class experience. 
My group for this assignment read several good novels - Once by Morris Gleitzman, a variety of Markus Zusak, and this one. Our oral presentation went for about 40 minutes, which was over double the length of time required. Needless to say, we really got into this topic :)


The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is (I think) a middle-grade novel - I say that with precaution and slight trepidation because it deals with such serious and devastating historical issues. John Boyne is an brilliant writer in that respect because what we get is a story of evil prevailing and immense suffering told through the voice of a child. This sweet, blissful innocence mingled with this terrible force of devastation is so unique to me. But all in all, here in this story lies a little boy who moves away from all his friends and lives in a big house - but what he doesn't know is there are bodies burning in his backyard.


Read this novel if you like a good story and a good cry.


Day 07 – Most underrated book
Day 08 – Most overrated book
Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
Day 10 – Favourite classic book Y
Day 11 – A book you hated
Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore Y
Day 13 – Your favourite writer Y
Day 14 – Favuorite book of your favourite writer Y
Day 15 – Favourite male character
Day 16 – Favourite female character Y
Day 17 – Favourite quote(s) from your favourite book(s) Y
Day 18 – A book that disappointed you Y s&S by JA
Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie Y Narnia!
Day 20 – Favourite romance book Y
Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood Y
Day 22 – Favourite book you own Y
Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t Y
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read Y
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title(s)
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh the tears :( This one is terribly sad. Great choice!

Kiwi Ivashkov said...

Aw! This one..I watched the movie too..I felt so crushed by the end of it! And kept screaming nooooo! (in my head of course).